A role of the CRU is to regulate and oversee the sustainable development of gas and electricity retail markets for the benefit of all customers. Our key focus is effective monitoring and the development of policies and processes that will provide a high level of protection to customers and promote competition in both wholesale and retail markets.
The CRU has a number of tasks in this area, including:
- Oversight of the Single Electricity Market and implementation of the pan-European internal energy market
- Retail and consumer protection policy development
- Licensing energy suppliers and ensuring compliance with licence and regulatory obligations
- Monitoring of the retail gas and electricity markets
- The coordination of the smart meter upgrade
- The accreditation of price comparison web sites.