The mission of the CRU is to regulate water, energy and energy safety in the public interest.
We act in the interests of all energy customers to ensure that:
- The lights stay on
- The gas continues to flow
- The prices charged are fair and reasonable
We achieve these goals by:
- Promoting competition in gas and electricity markets. This encourages suppliers to improve by offering value and choice to customers.
- Along with the Northern Ireland’s Utility Regulator (UR), we regulate the competitive wholesale electricity market, the Single Electricity Market (SEM)
- Ensuring security of electricity and gas supply.
- Ensuring the monopoly networks companies deliver network services efficiently by regulating the revenues they receive from customers.
- Protecting customers and resolving disputes they have with suppliers.
- Ensuring emergency plans are in place should there be an interruption to electricity or gas supplies.