Electrical Safety in your Home
Electricity is an essential part of our daily lives, it is also a powerful energy. Use these safety checks and tips to use electricity safely in your home.
Fuse board and meter
ESB Networks own and operate the electricity distribution network that transports electricity to our homes. Your electricity supply comes through the ESB Networks main fuse and meter. These are sealed and must never be interfered or tampered with.
Wiring and appliances
You are responsible for the safety of the electrical wiring installation in your home and how you use electric appliances. Follow these safety tips from ESB Networks to keep your wiring and appliances safe.
- Replace frayed wires, loose connections or damaged plugs immediately.
- Always switch off and unplug electrical items when not in use.
- Unwind extension leads fully to avoid overheating.
- Don’t overload sockets with adaptors or extension blocks.
Carry out these tests twice a year, when the clocks change:
- Test your trip switch or Residual Current Device (RCD) by pushing the test button.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
Customer Care Team
Call 1800 404 404 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - We're here Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm.